Sunday, November 10, 2013

"Why are you a surrogate?"

This is a question I get A LOT.  Pretty much every single person that finds out asks me this.  The agency I'm working with has asked me more than a few times.  Lol.  So, I figured I'd let you all know why I decided to become a surrogate.

In November 2008, I found out I was pregnant with my son.  I was so happy.  We had been trying to get pregnant and it didn't take very long for it to happen.  Shortly afterwards, one of my best friends found out she was pregnant as well.  We were both so excited.  Our due dates were super close together and we were thrilled to share our pregnancies.  Unfortunately, she lost hers not too long after that.  After that, she and her husband found they were having difficulties conceiving.  I saw her struggle while I carried a healthy baby boy and I hurt for her.  Once I had my son and recovered, I told her that if she discovered she was unable to carry a child for some reason, I would be happy to carry for her.  It was an emotional moment for both of us.  Luckily, on July 4th, 2010, she discovered she was pregnant and they now have a healthy 2 1/2 year old gorgeous girl.

In August of 2010, she and I were talking and she said to me, "If you would carry for me, why wouldn't you carry for someone else?"  For me, the answer was that I knew her and had a special connection with her.  But, I realized she might have a point and it was something I should look into.  I started doing my research and looking into all the requirements and experiences of other surrogates.  I decided it was something that I wanted to do.  I had a fairly easy pregnancy, compared to others, and I was getting the baby bug, but having another child of our own just wasn't going to happen any time soon.  If I could help someone grow their family and give them the gift of a child, I would be happy to do it.

I approached my husband about it in early September and showed him all the research I had done.  He could tell it was something I was excited about, but he was cautious.  One of the biggest questions he posed to me (and one that I also get quite often) was, "Wouldn't you form an attachment to the child or children?"  I didn't think I would because it would be easy for me to remember that I was just the bun for their oven and I would have absolutely no biological attachment to the child/ren.  So, once I convinced him of that, he did his own research.  He wanted to make sure he knew what I would be getting myself into and could be supportive.  He eventually told me that if I really wanted to do it, I should go for it.  He would support me.

So, that's why I became a surrogate.  A year later, we were paired with our first set of parents and it was one adventure after another after that.  Tonight, we fly up to Connecticut to meet with the new parents.  Tomorrow, I'll have blood work done as well as a saline sonogram and the psychological screenings to make sure all is well with our home situation.  Don't forget, if you have any questions, feel free to ask them and I will answer!  I won't post until after we get back from Connecticut tomorrow night, so expect a new post around Tuesday or Wednesday.

2 comments:

  1. Amazing that you are willing to give so much of yourself to help a couple have the family they always wanted. Very inspiring. :)

    ReplyDelete