Monday, March 31, 2014

Such a rad time! (My Color Me Rad race recap)

This past Sunday, the 30th, I participated in the Color Me Rad 5k in Orlando.  Last year, I did it with my best friend Kelly and her friend Jesamy, who also became my friend after that.  :-)  We had so much fun and I looked forward to doing it this year.  Sadly, I wasn't able to do it with either Kelly or Jesamy, but I did get to run with my friends Kirsten and Ty and their daughter, Addie.

We started in the 8:20 wave.  There were waves every 20 minutes from 8-9 a.m.  I didn't realize how close I lived to the location of the race until I got directions on my phone on the way there, which resulted in me getting there about 45 minutes early.  About 20 minutes or so later, my friends showed up.  We all made our way to the start line.  When we started, we were nice and white.  That didn't last long.  We started getting colored before we even started the run.  They had bought color bombs (packets of the colored cornstarch) and Addie was ready to start using them!


Before the start of the race, I was so nice and clean! 

I'm already getting colored before we even start!

They started our wave and as we crossed the start line, they were blowing color at people.  I think it was blue.  Suffice it to say, no one stayed white for too long.  Lol.  We started making it a game of tag with Addie.  It's one way to get a kid through a 5k that's fun for everyone!  Well, at least until the adults are out of energy less than a mile into the run.  Lol.  The first station we came up on was purple.  We ran through it and we all got a decent amount.

Thanks to the torrential downpours on Saturday, the course, which was very grassy, had turned pretty muddy.  Everyone's shoes got wet because there really wasn't anywhere dry to go.  I think my poor shoes are still drying out.  Soon after that, we hit the second color station, blue.  This one was colored water.  The temperatures were below 60 degrees when we started.  Everyone was a little chilly after that station.  We kept going and the kiddo decided she wanted to use a couple color bombs.  After opening one, she got me, her parents, and then some random strangers in front of us.  That's what I love about these races.  You can come up behind someone, throw powder on them, and they just laugh and say thanks.

My friend during the race.  Lovin those glasses!  They were part of the swag.

She was sooooo freakin excited!


We hit yellow third and then wound our way around to orange.  This year, they added half a mile onto the course because last year, it was only about 2.6 miles instead of 3.1  It also meant they had to add another color station.  Trust me, we weren't complaining.  We got to orange and the last lady with the powder DOUSED Addie in it.  It was pretty funny to see her afterwards.  We kept going to the finish line.  Right before, though, was the last color station, which was pink.  I, sadly, did not get any pink on me.  They kept missing me when they were tossing the powder on us.  Luckily, Ty had grabbed a handful to throw on Addie, but decided to throw it on me instead.  Lol.  Right after that, we finished the race, then went off to the side and opened the rest of the packets and got each other some more.  One of the photographers came up on us as Kirsten was throwing orange on me and got some pictures of that and then of the kiddo pouring powder all over herself, especially her braids.  I look forward to seeing those pictures.  :-)

Overall, it was a great race.  I definitely want to do it again next year.  At 17 weeks pregnant, I felt better this year than I did last year at 2 months postpartum.  I'm pretty sure I looked better, too.  Lol.  The next race coming up is the Darcy Foundation 5k in a little less than 2 weeks.  Matt and I will be running that race together.  It should be lots of fun!

So colorful!

One happy family!

No comments:

Post a Comment