Friday, May 16, 2014


Well, folks, I'm 6 months along!  A little less than 4 months to go!  I'm so excited to be at this point, but I realize I also have the entire hot summer to look forward to.  Lol.  It'll be interesting, that's for sure.  I'll be finding lots of fun ways to keep cool.  My favorite way will probably be to stay in air conditioning.

Here's what's been going on.  My son and I went up to Ohio last week for vacation.  We stayed up there for a week and visited friends and family.  We definitely had fun, but it'll be a couple years before we go back up, probably.  There is a fun event at Cedar Point called "Coasting for Kids" that I would love to take part in, though.  It raises money for Give Kids The World, which is like Make a Wish, but is based in Central Florida.  Working for Disney, Universal, and Sea World means that I've encountered families who use their services quite a bit and it's always made an impact on me.

On May 3rd, I volunteered at the Expedition Everest 5k Challenge at Disney World.  It's a night race that's run through Animal Kingdom.  You run a 5k, then you have to solve various clues while running back through the park.  It was a lot of fun.  I got to see a lot of my friends who were running it.  Here's a picture of my friend Rebecca and I.  It was her first 5k and she had a blast!

I volunteered doing Runner Direction, so I made sure no one came into my corral that wasn't supposed to.  

Now for the more serious stuff.  From the beginning, I've wanted to have a vaginal birth after cesarean section (VBAC) with this baby.  The parents knew that and were okay with it, as long as it was a feasible option.  I was never given any indication that it wasn't.  Right before vacation, I found out that my doctor told the mom that it was medically necessary for me to have a repeat c-section (RCS).  Because of this, they now want me to have a RCS.  Unfortunately, I was unable to speak with him before we left for vacation.  However, I did have an appointment yesterday with him.  The good news?  Baby has a great heartbeat and is growing normally.  The not so good news?  My doctor doesn't do VBACs because there is a minute chance (0.5%-1%) of a uterine rupture.  I was crushed.

I told the parents that I'm going to get my medical records regarding the c-section and get a second, and possibly third, opinion.  If I talk to the doctors and they tell me that, for some reason pertaining to me specifically, I'm not a good candidate for VBAC, then I'll stay with my doctor and get the RCS.  The parents aren't happy that I'm going to be talking to other doctors because they feel like me switching doctors at this point means my new doctor won't know me or my medical history well enough.  They also don't want anything to happen to the baby (neither do I, obviously) and believe, after having informed discussions with other medical professionals, that a RCS is the best option for me.

I've been doing my research on the pros and cons of VBAC vs. RCS and have passed that information on to the parents.  At this point, it's just a waiting game to talk to other doctors.  I already have one in mind.  He was my friend's doctor for her pregnancy and she highly recommends him.  He delivers at the hospital I'll deliver at, so I don't have to worry about switching hospitals.  She says he's straight-forward and honest, which is what I'll need.  Once I've spoken to the doctors, the parents and I will discuss what has been found out.  Ultimately, it's my decision, though of course they want me to take their feelings into account, which I'm trying to.  It's not an easy decision to make, by any means.  Just keep your fingers crossed that we get all of this figured out quickly.  I'm really hoping that, if the doctors tell me I'm a good candidate for VBAC, I can ease the parents' minds about it.


  1. It's got to be frightening for the parents to have literally no control over any of this, but while all decisions regarding baby really does belong to them, all decisions regarding your body belong solely to you. Once you have two C-Sections, most drs do not want to allow a vaginal birth because it really increases the risk of uterine rupture. Having a VBAC is safe as long as it is done under the careful monitoring of drs and also because the only reason you had a C-Section was not for failed labor but because you were delivering TWINS!!! Good for you for standing up for yourself!

  2. I'm a VBAC momma here and totally applaud your decision to get a second opinion. It may in the end turn out that you are not a good candidate (some people just aren't) or it could be that your doctor just has a blanket policy against them. Either way, you won't know until you ask someone else. Then its up to you to make an informed decision. That's what its all about - informed decision after weighing the pros and cons. Good for you for being proactive about your health care instead of just blindly accepting what you are told. I know you have that baby's best interests at heart. Best wishes for the next 4 months!

  3. Elizabeth, you know I was trying to go for a VBAC, but due to early stages of pre-e I had to have the RCS. Just remember, you do not have to sign the consent forms for the c/s. If you head to the hospital when you are far enough along, then they should let you try. You would be a good candidate for one since your last was due to multiples. Unfortunately, if you want a VBAC, you will hear a lot of negativity from nurses and such. Dont let them bully you. Due your research, be informed. Also, I've heard Winnie Palmer is hard to VBAC in. People have called it a baby factory. Remember, hospitals make more money with VBACs then with vags. Check out the local ican chapter for more help.

    In the end, if you do end up with a RCS, I promise recovery is so much easier. I felt well enough to eat just 3 hours after. Moving was easier and the pain didn't seem as bad. I wish you luck, and I know you can do this!!!